Santa Clara County Model Aircraft Skypark
October 21, 2017, 06:25:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Welcome to the SCCMAS Forums - Sign up and introduce yourself in the "General Forum"

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wings Level flying..  (Read 12043 times)
Scott Covey

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2009, 06:54:08 AM »

Let's define "The Outside Wing" as the wing that is always away from you when you make a pass from either direction. You will note that it can be either wing - depending on which direction you are heading. There is one thing you must remember - if you can't see, at least, the outside wing tip, your wings are not level. How much of the  outside wing depends on if you are flying a low wing, or a mid wing, plane. If you only see the inboard wing tip, or underside of the inboard wing, more than likely your wings are not level. Pattern is 50% "Z" distance, and 40% maneuver geometry. The other 10% is, what I will call, "flow" - constant speed, all radii the same, the pattern flows from one maneuver to the next. Try this, coming out of ANY turnaround maneuver, and keep the outside wing low - so low it's way off (too low) and you head out away from yourself. Then start to refine this 'outward flight' so the plane actually fly's parallel with the runway after the turnaround maneuver. This will help keep the "Z" distance constant. Also, watch the heights of the entry and exit on all maneuvers - yes, some turn-around maneuvers don't need be the same entry and exit heights, but if they are, your pattern will look better.

Try the above, your pattern flying will improve.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2009, 07:27:38 AM by Scott Covey » Logged
iminvania
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 07:39:32 PM »

Good job I am in the UK then

I saw the prototype 2 years ago at the wings and wheels show. From what I can remember it was just what I am looking for. Thanks for reminding me about it.

I think I will still do a design along the lines of a Speedwing but in balsa/carbon and see what happens. Any of you guys know what the hot wing sections are now days? Root and tip sections different or just less incedence on the tip? What are your thoughts?
Off topic, I'm a happy owner of
http://www.ps2netdrivers.net/serger/brother.lock.929d/
:-)
optimus
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2010, 01:17:43 AM »

wow thanks for share its great guys....... Smiley
Scott Covey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 06:27:33 AM »

Glad you are liking this post - as some know, I'm in Colorado now, and starting to fly again. I have a small foam plane called the Snyper - and it's a pretty good 3 cell plane. It's light, so don't expect much in the wind, but on a calm day, it's great.

sc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: